[TR] Removing Tie-rod 56TR3

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jan 22 08:41:46 MST 2016

> First, thanks for all the input I received before Xmas. The
> project this weekend is to remove the tie rod as one of the
> fulcrum pins is completely destroyed

A very common problem in my experience.  You might want to consider upgrading to the Delrin/SS joints as sold by ARE & TRF.  They
will last much longer.

> Also, should we replace any other bushings while we are
> doing this? It does look like most other components are in
> good condition.

The inner A-arm bushings are another common problem, IMO; particularly the upper ones.  For the other joints, pry and wiggle against
them looking for any movement.  In general, if you can see them move at all in ways they are not supposed to, the joint should be
replaced.

Also look for any play in the steering box.  If you see any, my suggestion is to rebuild it rather than trying to adjust the screw
on the top.  It's to compensate for manufacturing tolerances, not wear IMO.

> Trying to find some documentation or advice as to the best
> way to proceed and do I need any specialty tools.

This style of tool seems to work the best for me
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

Never had much luck with the "pickle fork" style, especially on those fulcrum pins (aka silentblocs).

Randall