[TR] TR3 Temperature

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 20 15:33:02 MST 2016

> Oh dear.  That raises another question.  On days when it's in
> the outside temperature is in the thirties driving to work,
> is it normal for the operating engine temperature to run as
> much as 20 degrees cooler?  It does run at 185 on "normal" days.

With the stock aneroid type thermostat, yes.  According to the workshop manual, it starts to open below 160F and is not fully open
until almost 200F.  I believe there is even a "winter" thermostat listed to help keep the engine closer to 185F in the winter.  (Or
what we used to do was stuff a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator.)

But the swing with a modern wax pellet type thermostat should be much smaller.  As a side note, I believe even Triumph switched to a
wax pellet type eventually.

As far as sharing vendor experiences, I don't have a problem with "This is what happened to me" either good or bad.  But, IMO, "XXX
are a bunch of crooks" is inappropriate.

-- Randall