[TR] Sandblasting wire wheels

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Feb 21 13:55:07 MST 2016

Two or three years ago, I picked up a sandblaster from Harbor Freight.  Last spring, I found some glass bead, coarse and medium, on sale because the bags had been opened.

Filled the tank with coarse, cranked up the air pressure, and started blasting.  Nothing happened.

Reminded me of a girl I dated rather too hopefully in high school.  Same as here, issue turned out to be me.

Oh well.

Finally figured out after bead refused to come out the hose, that the bead was damp and clogging in the hose.  Comes from buying open bags, I suspect, then leaving them most of a year in the garage.

Went to Tractor Supply Co., bought bags of dry black beauty, and LO!  Caked up paint evaporated at a touch of the nozzle.  Amazing and fast.  What had seemed mysterious and complicated yesterday, piece of cake today.

Wonder how long I can remember how I did it....

Will paint next weekend when I'm not too tired and likely sloppy.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire