[TR] Starter won't engage

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Feb 20 18:24:42 MST 2016

As you possibly recall, I'd replaced the flywheel and clutch, buttoned everything up, and the previously working starter now failed to engage the teeth on the flywheel.  I could hear it push out, even hear the starter whirring.  I did try turning the engine a couple of times in the vague hope to get the teeth in better alignment.

Battery worked.  Lights worked fine.  Etc. ad nauseum.

Getting ready to pull the starter, I unbolted the positive cable from the battery and noticed the post was clean, not corroded, but blackened.  Same with the cable terminal. Wire brushed the contact points, reconnected, and the starter worked just fine.

The battery terminals were enough of a problem to be a problem but not to look like a problem.

Didn't have to pull the starter.  Started getting things ready to sandblast my wire wheels, which I've top coated several times over the past dozen years, but are starting to look tired.  Never sand blasted before.

But sand blasting doesn't look like a problem....

Terry