[TR] TR3A flywheel bolt on ring gear

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Feb 18 16:45:29 MST 2016

> I'll pull it this weekend.  Is it possible to install these
> upside down?  Not that I would of course.  That would be
> stoooopid.  I have never been that.  Well, once, maybe.
> Maybe twice.  Maybe twice a year, or was it day, or what was
> it I did wrong twice in the past ten minutes??????

I tried deliberately installing it the other way (trying to get the motor farther away from the exhaust); but it wouldn't fit.

But I believe that, if it did fit, it would still work.  The shaft seems to be on-center to the mounting holes, so the shaft would
stay the same distance from the ring gear.

On the one I have, you can also try rotating the adapter.  That didn't fit either.  I finally wound up just sticking a piece of
roofing tin between the starter motor and exhaust pipe.  In another 8 years or so, I'll find out if that worked :)  (Previous gear
drive starter lasted about 10 years before the exhaust heat cooked the grease and ruined the bearings.)

http://tinyurl.com/jjtqrgd

Randall