[TR] TR3A flywheel bolt on ring gear

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Feb 17 15:26:04 MST 2016

Question:  were there different gear ratios on the ring gear?  Reason I ask, while I had the OD tranny out, I replaced the flywheel with a freshly machined one.  It had a somewhat better condition ring gear already bolted on.  I don't know the year of production of the replacement flywheel.  Bolted the same starter back in, but when I try to start the engine, the starter clicks and whirrs, but doesn't engage. Jumped it with a good battery, seems to be a strong electrical current going in.  Engine turns freely by hand even with the spark plugs still in.

Thoughts?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire where in a two day period it went from minus 20 degrees to in the 50's.  Gotta love New England!