[TR] That'll teach me

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 22 17:06:19 MDT 2016

> I don't know where you guys live, but it happened to a friend who lived on
> the Keys.
>
> Anyone think this might be related to salt water?

Sure.  Anything that causes the face of the flywheel or pressure plate to
rust.

Here in "it never rains" California, it's only happened to me once; probably
brought on by using a propane torch to help remove the alloy flywheel.  The
heat removed any traces of oil on the surface, and the moisture from the
flame promoted corrosion.

I started the engine in gear and let the car move (with the pedal held
down).  Was prepared to drive around the block, but it came loose before I
got out of the driveway.  Never happened again.

-- Randall