[TR] Stag quit at speed

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Aug 20 13:05:44 MDT 2016

The stock Stag alternator dies nothing at all at idle. However, a good charged battery should be able to carry the entire load for a lot longer than 8 minutes. Several hours at least, longer if the headlights are not on.

For example, in 2005 I had the alternator on Stag #1 fail around Palm Springs and finished my 2 hour drive home just on the battery. The headlights were getting kind of dim by the time i got home, but the engine still ran fine.

So I would say more likely you have a bad battery. Possibly just never got charged but you said you charged it.

O'Reillys will test your battery for free, probably most others will as well. However I've been unhappy with their batteries, so I suggest going elsewhere if you need a new one.

-- Randall