[TR] Different (less stressfull?) route to Triumphest...

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 12 20:44:30 MDT 2016

> The Idea is to have a more scenic route, with maybe less traffic/stress
> that the freeway typically offers.  We would probably hit the 1 at around
> 10-11:00 on Friday.  Has anybody taken this route, and am I fooling myself
> into thinking that it would be less traffic and stress?
> I don't mind lights and slower traffic that is at least moving -

I've driven all of that at one time or another.  Not like LA freeways; but
you're still going to see lots of traffic, and lots of red lights.  Probably
take twice as long as doing the 405/101, even at rush hour.

Kind of scenic until you get to Long Beach, then it's pretty much just city,
refineries and industrial areas until you get to Santa Monica.  I would be
very tempted to catch the 405 at the south end of Long Beach and take the 10
back to CA 1 at Santa Monica. Kind of scenic from there again (you can even
see the beach/ocean in many places) until you get to Point Mugu, then it's
back to just another city street all the way through Ventura.

> Sorry, but I just really HATE going through LA.  At any time of day and
> anymore it seems as though it clogs up no matter what time of day you go
> but I noticed that the 1 goes right through LAX.  That can't be good
> either---

In my limited experience, CA 1 isn't any worse around LAX than it is
elsewhere.  Only the locals go to the airport that way; everyone else uses
the Century freeway.  That's not to say you won't find a traffic jam there;
only that you're equally likely to find a traffic jam anywhere else along 1.
I've seen it so bad in Malibu (for example), that I took one of the canyon
roads over to the 101 instead.

-- Randall