[TR] TYR3 Overdrive maintenance

Bill Beecher bill_beecher at flash.net
Sat Apr 30 09:34:32 MDT 2016

Many thanks to all for the direction and assurance.
Off to the garage now!
Bill B

Sent from my VIC-64

On Apr 30, 2016, at 10:18 AM, Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> 1. Have learned that the transmission and O/D use the same
> oil reservoir so is the Red Line MT90 that I really love for
> the trans is OK in the O/D unit?

MT-90 works fine for me.  I even contacted Redline tech support and that's what they recommended.

> 2. I have drained the trans from the normal plug, do I drain
> the O/D from that big brass plug?

Yes.  There is a screen inside, and perhaps some magnets, that should be cleaned as well.  On earlier units, you remove a small
screw with a flat washer and spacer, to get the screen out.  On later units it just pulls out (or falls out from it's own weight if
things are pretty clean).

> 3. If #2 is yes, Do I have to be careful of anything that may
> come out, i.e. springs or seals, when I remove the plug?

There's a big fiber washer that seals the plug.  Not usually a problem, but check that it is not damaged before you reuse it.  I had
one split and cause a leak that was hard to find.  Wouldn't hurt to have a spare on hand (P/N 500641).

Main thing to be careful of, IMO, is the plug itself.  Brass is fairly soft, and it's easy to distort the plug, especially if you
have the later one with the notches and try to use a drift in one notch to turn it.  Here's a photo of the two tools I've made to
turn the later type:
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Tools/DSCF0007_lighter.jpg.html

The one in the background is just a heavy iron bar (sold at Home Depot as a stake for concrete forms) that was drilled and tapped
for a couple of bolts, then the bolts were filed to suit the plug notches.  It worked OK, but a bit hard to get positioned on the
car.

The big socket with notches milled into it to form the teeth worked better, but I wish I had made it shorter so it would have less
of a tendency to twist.  I forget the size offhand, but the socket was on eBay, used to adjust wheel bearing nuts on a truck axle.

For the earlier type, I just found a heavy (impact) 6 point socket to fit, and filed down the end so it grabbed as much of the hex
as possible.  Seems like maybe it was a 35mm socket (sold for CV joints on FWD cars), but I'm not certain of the size offhand.

-- Randall