[TR] Triumph Thrust Bearings

Bill Brewer billbrewer59 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 22:01:42 MDT 2016

    I think that for TR6 thrust washers you should contact this guy.

            http://www.customthrustwashers.com/contact.html

     -Bill in Tehachapi

Hi.

I am about to start tearing down the engine for my GT6 Convertible project
and I am using a GT6 2.0 engine.

I wonder if there is some wisdom here for the following questions?

1- I have been reading about the infamous crank thrust bearing in the
Triumph 4 and 6 cylinder engines. It seems to me the stuck unit is a steel
180 deg unit that has a thin copper plating that wears, then can damage the
crank by steel to steel contact or by falling off altogether.

So I have read of 3 options: Use a copper alloy replacement (no steel), use
a copper alloy, 360 degree replacement (needs some machining of the block),
pin the bearing, or use another car's main bearing that has built in thrust
surfaces (machining of block and cap needed).

Since I am hopping up the engine a bit for street use, which do you guys
recommend?

2- I plan on hopping up the engine to roughly 120-130 HP. I understand a
mild cam upgrade, some head match porting and balancing along with a
compression increase should do it. Any recommendations? I think I will keep
the stock intake and exhaust manifolds and Strombergs, maybe add a free
flowing exhaust. Is that enough? Would adding triple 150 strombergs too
much? Or a pair of 175 Strombergs?

3- Does anyone on this list know of a good Michigan located place I can take
my block, head and crank to get cleaned up, machined as needed, etc? I plan
on doing the assembly and disassembly, but not any machining myself.

Thanks!!