[TR] Shining Silver

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:31:15 MDT 2016

On 4/8/16 1:13 PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> A few years back Karen and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary,
> our Silver Anniversary as they call it.
>
> And coming up in just a few days on April 11th is Team.Net's Silver
> Anniversary.  Yes, on April 11, 1991 the domain was registered and
> went on the air.  In truth, it existed before that in the form of two
> mailing lists, british-cars and autox which were outgrowths of
> rec.autos Usenet groups. Murky history there.
Not all that murky.  I was asking questions about my newly purchased TR3
on rec.autos when I got an email from a guy named Dale (if I remember
the name correctly).  He said he was starting up a British cars email
list and asked if I wanted to be part of the mail group.

Dale worked at Apollo Computers and set the server up on a company
computer.  Dale owned an MGB.  If memory serves his MGB lived in a
narrow dirt earth one car garage.  He eventually gave up the car because
he and his wife could no longer comfortably sit in the vehicle. I don't
remember where the british car mail list went after then.

In early 1990, the Land Rover mail list (LRO) was the first to split off
from the British car mail list.  I was there art the beginning of both
lists as twakeman at hplabs and twakeman at apple.com

TeriAnn