[TR] High-flow thermostat

Peter Arakelian peterara at msn.com
Sat Apr 9 18:14:26 MDT 2016

I have the opportunity to get a high flow thermostat for my TR6.  I compared the diameter of the portion that actually opens to a standard thermostat, did some area calculations, and came up with approx. 10 square millimeters larger on the high flow.Question is will it do anything.  Two schools of thought have come up.  First, yes, it will allow a greater flow of hot coolant into the radiator, much like a high flow water pump would, therefore in hot weather, it will run cooler.Second, no, in fact it may cause overheating or less actual cooling, because the coolant will pass through the radiator too quickly, like having removed a thermostat, and thus not cool enough.Thoughts from the group?

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6, Daily Driver