[TR] Trivex glass for TR3 windshield

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 06:07:59 MDT 2016

It was only yesterday that I was able to resolve this problem for a friend
of mine who has a Standard (Triumph) 10 saloon. Replacement screens for this
are now "unobtainium" in the UK unless you get one specially made which is
big bucks. As the screen is flat, there's a windscreen fitter at the back of
my office building who cut a piece of flat laminated glass from a sheet he
had in stock. The only problem is that the new glass is a tad thicker than
the original by about .75 of a millimetre. We improvised a new mounting
rubber from stock stuff, put the sealant between the rubber to body and
screen to rubber - and job done. It looks excellent, doesn't leak, doesn't
look 'fat' and most important of all, this morning the Department of
Transport test centre approved the job for the annual vehicle safety check.
I pointed out to the man doing the test what had been done and that the
glass had no manufacturer kitemark but the response was, "who cares? It's
laminated, the car isn't fast and there's no damage on it to make it fail
the construction and use requirements."

Total cost approx. US$125.00 including cutting, grinding off the sharp
edges, fitting and consumables. A possible route for others?

Jonmac

---