[TR] what happened?

Brad Kahler bkahler1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:51:50 MDT 2015

Lots of white smoke doesn't always indicate water/coolant.  On my TR4
engine that had been freshly rebuilt when I bought it I had billowing
clouds of white smoke.  After several head gasket changes I finally
realized that the new liners (liner & piston kit) had not been cross
hatched so the rings didn't seat.  This allowed for massive amounts of oil
to be sucked up and out the exhaust.  Result was white smoke.

So the question is, were the cylinder liners cross hatched so the rings
would seal?