[TR] OD transmission

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Tue Oct 6 09:53:36 MDT 2015

Looking for comments and suggestions.

I just installed a TR4 rebuilt overdrive transmission in my 1960 TR3.  Everything is running well and the OD is pretty cool.  I don't know what to expect or how it should work, but this doesn't seem right to me.  When I'm up to 60 mph or so and flip the switch, it shifts into OD no problem.  If I'm accelerating at the time, it won't shift until I let up on the gas so there isn't any load.  As I experimented with this, driving down HWY 1 along the Pacific Coast Highway, there are short rolling hills and as I am going up the hill and flip the switch, it won't shift into OD until again I've crested the hill and have let up on the gas a bit.

Now 3rd gear, I wondered if I'd ever use OD in 3rd gear, but I do find when driving along a 4 lane blvd with the speed about 45 mph, 3rd gear with OD is pretty nice.  So while cruising along like that when I accelerate fairly aggressively, like an automatic transmission, without me touching the switch, it will drop out of OD by itself as I accelerate, and when the load is reduced as I let up on the gas, it will shift back into OD.

I told the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission about this and he said that isn't right, and his first question was if the oil level OK so I checked.  I took out the side fill plug and can see the oil level and it just starts to ooze over the threads. So that's not the problem.

What is normal shifting for an OD transmission?

Thanks,

Rye