[TR] Need some advice regards desirability & pricing

Paul Willoughby paulwilloughby007 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 08:49:41 MST 2015

I've been thinking about Wayne's question for about a week now.  Pricing
these old cars is pretty hit and miss.  As has been said many times, the
car is ultimately worth what a buyer is willing to pay, if you have a
buyer.

Another rule of thumb is that it can be cheaper to buy a fully restored
car, than building one yourself. More often than not, it costs more to
restore the car than the selling price value of it.

In the American hot rod world, a souped up '32 Ford is worth much more than
a stock '32 Ford.  But a hot rodded '57 t-bird might not be worth as much
as a restored stock one.  Both those cars have a wider popularity appeal
than our old Triumphs.  Definitely an apples to oranges comparison.

With that being said, I imagine that Wayne's very nice condition V8 TR3
could still be worth what a similar non-concourse TR3 would be worth.  Nada
lists '58 TR3 values at:

$12,000 low
$21,000 average
$50,000 high

ebay seems like a venue that would have the widest market reach.

I'm hesitant to even offer a value figure, because I could be way off.  If
I were to WAG, I would say maybe $15,000 plus or minus.  Am I too low?

paulw
Torrance, CA
1964 TR4
1956 TR3 V8