[TR] Wire wheel maintenance

Robert Rochlin rrochlin at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 19:43:32 MST 2015

Fred Belanger was the guy who did my wheels.  He’s a very personable interesting guy.  While I at the shop he showed me some wheels we was rebuilding for a museum, although I don’t recall which one.  Most of the equipment you see in the photo is  50+ years old.   if a wheel is out of true he takes it apart and re-spokes it from scratch.  Fred is about 78 with a bit of arthritis so can’t work for long periods of time on re-spoaking wheels.  He just plugs away at them for about an hour at a time and has help come in once a week.  He did a very precise evaluation of my wheels.  And as David said, it would probably  be cheaper to replace the wheel than incur the expense of having Fred, or another rebuilder disassemble it and build it back form scratch.
>> http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2013/10/01/hmn_feature10.html <http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2013/10/01/hmn_feature10.html>	I went out today and tried again to figure out where the vibration is coming from.   I may take Randall’s advice and try to get the wheels balanced on the car.  At least then I’ll know which axel  the vibration is coming from and then maybe I can drill down as to the cause.
	Take care.
	Bob