[TR] carb issues and stalling

glemon at neb.rr.com glemon at neb.rr.com
Wed Nov 4 18:03:43 MST 2015

It sounds like you have quite a bit of crud in the tank, I don't know if this is causing your rich condition (I suppose it could if sediment is keeping a float needle from closing) but the sediment will be an ongoing issue unless you adress it.

Hillbilly way is to drain the tank, remove it, throw a handful of nuts and bolts or gravel in it (nuts and bolts will probably be easier to get out when you are done).  Now shake the hell out of it, or better yet if you have strapping young sons or grandsons have them shake the hell out of it with the openings taped up.  Do this for half an hour or more, rinse thoroughly with water drain all the gunk out, you will have to work a little to get your abrasive medium of choice out past the baffles, but it can be done. Dry in the hot sun turning on occasion to get the water out of the nooks and crannies.  If no sun available rig up a shop vac as a blower and hook it up to the tank to thoroughly air dry.

There are ongoing debates about treating and sealing at this point, but I just put mine back in my TR250 after this and no problems for many years after.  In fact I had my carbs out yesterday and the fuel was very clean at the carb and the filter.

Of course you could pay someone to do similar but downsides of this 1) you have to pay for it 2) you have to find someone competent to do it, and 3) wait for them to get it done.  Where is the fun in that?

Greg Lemon
68 TR250