[TR] The mystery continues - update

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Wed Nov 4 10:51:08 MST 2015

Update - kind of

Finally had some time and pulled the head off my TR3 engine with 350 miles on a newly rebuilt engine and is burning oil.  This is the engine that had 150 lbs compression check numbers across all for cylinders, consistent but a bit low.  Should be up around 195 I believe.  Also a leak down test which pumped in 100 PSI and all four cylinders held strong at 98 PSI.

As we pulled the head off we were hoping for a big AH-HA moment, hoping a problem would be obvious, but no such luck.  The head gasket fully intact, obvious excessive burnt oil in #1 and #3 as evidence when I pulled the spark plugs.  Otherwise everything looked good.

Took the head and head-gasket down to Dave at British Motorsports and he didn't see problems either, and will send the head to the machine shop to be checked out and double check the valve guides.  Probably going to replace them just to eliminate that possibility.

Next week I will pull off the pan and push out the pistons for examination, and at this point I'll probably buy new rings, hone the cylinders to crosshatch the them, and start over.

I know I'll get a dozen recommendations, but - piston ring suggestions?  Deves? Hastings? Other brands?  I'm running a 87.5mm big bore kit

Thanks,

Rye
PH: 530-FIND-RYE