[TR] carburetor on TR3A

Michael Marr mmarr at albiontechnical.com
Sun Nov 1 15:33:00 MST 2015

Did the "car guy" look under the hood?  He should have noticed there are two carbs....

First, was the car suddenly difficult to start or did it happen slowly over time?  Have you noticed any difference in choke cable tension when you pull out the choke prior to starting?  Does the emission of black smoke last for a while, or does it occur immediately after you have used the starter fluid and then stop?  Does the car eventually run ok after the engines warms up? Have you had any work performed on the car recently?

If you are not familiar with SU carbs, you might try to find someone local that is, to just take a quick look at obvious things like the enrichment mechanism (SUs don't have a true choke) having come adrift.

And then we have the whole question of whether your carb problem is really an ignition problem...

Mike

Sent from my iPhone