[TR] Triumph Keys

Chuck White triumph.driver at gmail.com
Fri May 22 03:36:42 MDT 2015

I've been stumped by this for a while and cannot find answers in any of the
available "originality" books.  I'm hoping you can help.

My Heritage Certificate lists 3 different key numbers for my 1965 TR4A (2
are FS numbers and 1 is an FT number) yet the owner's handbook cites there
were only two keys; 1 for the ignition & doors, and 1 for the glove box and
boot.  What did the 3 keys identified on my Heritage Certificate fit?  I
have one of the original FS keys (Wilmot Breeden with a hexagonal head) and
it fits the ignition, doors, and boot (I suspect this is wrong) but not the
glove box.  I have not disassembled the glove box or boot locks to determine
what numbers are stamped on them but the ignition and door locks have
matching FS numbers to my original key.  Would the glove box and boot locks
originally have had different keys?

Did each of the different key types (i.e., FS & FT) have different and
specific head shapes?

Thanks!

Chuck