[TR] tr3 headlight rim

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Mar 25 00:52:36 MDT 2015

> Those LED lamps might not even fit in the headlight buckets in our
> cars -- certainly no way to mount the dust covers as with a
> traditional H4.

I only tried them in TR3 and TR3A buckets, but they fit fine in both.  I don't see why they wouldn't fit in later versions as well
(not even sure offhand that there is any substantial difference in later versions).  As you can perhaps see here
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Misc%20parts/LED%20H4%20replacements/DSCF0001.jpg.html
There is only a little extra protrusion beyond where the connector would be on a conventional bulb.  I didn't try to measure it, but
it looks like less than 1/4" to me.

Certainly no dust covers, but I'm not sure they are needed.  There is no vent opening in the mounting plate (as there is with
conventional H4 bulbs) and since they run way cooler than a typical halogen H4, there should be minimal air forced past the mounting
plate by thermal expansion.  And the H4 dust covers have vents anyway (due to the air that gets forced in and out).  (The heat sink
moves heat past the mounting plate by conduction, so the fan doesn't force air into the outer bulb either.)

> There's been a lot of internet talk about bulbs like this, on
> candlepowerforums and others, including criticism around light
> control.  Images side-by-side show the LED lamps (at least some of
> them) appear to have little of the beam cutoff typical of a good H4.

The cutoff is not quite as crisp as some H4 I have owned, but actually quite good compared to most of them.  I'm not convinced that
a really sharp cutoff is a good idea anyway, as it can make it seem you are flashing your headlights if you are driving through a
bit of a dip.

Here's low beam
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Misc%20parts/LED%20H4%20replacements/DSCF0007_1.jpg.html

And high beam
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/Misc%20parts/LED%20H4%20replacements/DSCF0011_1.jpg~original

They look nearly identical, which was a concern to me before.  But the high beam actually moves up quite a bit once you get out away
from the car.  Look at the dark stains on the garage door for a reference.

BTW, that dark red light you can barely see at the top left is a 200 watt incandescent flood light.  These headlights are bright!

Certainly not for everyone, and my mind isn't really made up whether I like them or not.  But so far, they look good to me.  Just
need to get that pesky aiming issue addressed and then take them out in the desert some night.

-- Randall