[TR] Accessory power in +ground TR3

Rick chandler.rick at comcast.net
Fri Mar 13 15:25:21 MDT 2015

I installed an isolated power take-off point on my positive-ground Norton in
order to use newer accessories, like gps. After a few short trips sweating
bullets that I would accidentally brush the two chassis's against one
another (this is a tow-truck level catastrophe waiting to happen) I gave it
up and converted the Norton to negative ground, like the rest of the
automotive universe. I converted my TR3A during the original restoration.
Save yourself a lot of anxiety and convert your TR to negative ground; there
are several good posts in the archives. The original TR3 harness uses black
for chassis ground. Red is used for headlights and taillights, so there is
minimal ambiguity with the red (hot +12v) cables used in after-market stuff.
Job takes much less than a day. Might as well replace the generator with a
decent (and cheap) alternator while you're at it, if you're serious about
long trips.  If it were me (and it was), I'd also replace the starter with a
modern geared unit; the old starters give it up when the car is hot.

Rick in Seattle

1960 TR3A

1972 Norton 730 Combat

1975 Norton 850 Mk3