[TR] Rings Not seating

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 09:33:29 MDT 2015

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:46:25 -0500
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr at rmi.net>
To: triumphs at autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Rings Not seating

Hi,

What is the most likely cause of rings not seating?

I rebuilt my Spitfire engine about 4,000 miles ago and still have
excessive oil consumption.    I don't seem to be leaking oil, so my
assumption is that it is getting past the rings.

I did check the gap on all of the rings during installation and they all
were within tolerance - generally towards the tighter end.

I am planning on taking off the head and putting new rings on.

What steps should I take to try to make sure the new rings seat
properly?  I am thinking I should run a hone down cylinders just to
roughen up the walls a bit.

Thanks,
Roger  Elliott-------------------------------------Hi List!Roger, I hope you installed Each Ring Layer gap set 180^ to the next Each Ring Layer gap?
If you had each layer gap in a vertical line with the next layer, then you may have the leakage easier to increase from the top of the piston area, to the sump pan space.-Cosmo Kramer -Cosmo Kramer