[TR] Rod bearings Bi Metal or Tri Metal

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 20 06:49:08 MDT 2015

I am replacing the rod bearings in my TR4A engine. Crank has never been cut and has approx 100,000 miles on it, maybe more. I rebuilt the oil pump several years ago and maintain 30psi hot at idle and 65 / 70psi at speed. The question is should I use Bi Metal or Tri Metal? King seems to be the bearings of choice now and they offer both. Engine is mildly modified, D Cam, 87mm liners / pistons, at least 0.090 milled off the head, maybe .100 since a recent valve job. Opinions will vary and I have my own but I’d like to know the collective thought and arguments either way.
Thanks,
JVV