[TR] Can't Remember

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sat Jun 13 15:51:27 MDT 2015

As Randall said I doubt the dieseling is being caused by the vacuum line being in the wrong hole unless it is messing up your ignition timing, causing the car to overheat.

our old cars still suck fuel out of the carbs when you turn the motor off, so they can diesel for an impressive mount of time, although eventuall the fuel will empty from the float bowl and it will stop, but you don't want it to do that so kill it with the clutch.

Carbon build up from running too rich can raise the compression ratio and or cause hot spots which cause dieseling

too lean a mixture can cause it to run hot, causing dieseling

timing too far retarded can cause it to run hot, causing dieseling

poor cooling system (crud build up in the block or radiator itself) can cause it to run hot and cause dieseling.

Lots of causes and cures, newer motors sometimes do it because clearances are tight and they run hot, older because of the aformentioned carbon build up.

A couple hits after the car stops is not uncommon for "our" cars, but ongoing run on is, I don't know what you have done to the car recently, but I would focus on anything that might have changed recently since I read your post to say it didn't usetodoit and now it does.