[TR] Brake LIghts

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 12:08:49 MDT 2015

> The brakelights once stepping on the brake do not.  I have
> replaced the brake relay switch, but they still do not come on.
> Any advice as to where I should look next?

Er, you did have the ignition on, right?

Unlike the head and tail lights, the brake lights get power from one of the fuse block fuses.  So check that the turn signals or
wipers work, as they get power from the same fuse block terminal.  If so, then I'd say it's time to get out the meter and do a
little troubleshooting.

Check that one side of the brake light switch is getting power with the key on.  If not, the problem is either the bullet connector
or the wire back to the fuse block, or it's connection to the fuse block.

Then have a helper hold the brake pedal down firmly, while you check both sides of the brake light switch.  If the power goes away
on the terminal that had it before, you've got a bad (weak) connection between there and the fuse block (the bullet sleeve would be
my first guess).  If one terminal has power and the other does not, then either the switch is bad or your helper isn't pressing the
pedal hard enough.

If both have power, my next check would be the RH brake light (with helper still holding the pedal down).  Don't trust the taillight
base to be grounded, open the trunk and connect to a screw head or something.  If you don't have power there, the problem is in the
wire from the switch (or the other bullet connector near the switch).

Next I'd check that the lamp base is actually grounded.  The factory ground arrangement is very marginal here, IMO, so I added a
ground wire for all of the rear lamps and brought it around to one of the fuel tank mounting bolts (along with a ground for the fuel
sender).

That should get you started.

-- Randall