[TR] TR4A update and overdrive question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 4 22:37:29 MDT 2015

> The other thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the
> shifter allow the transmission to go into OD in 2nd, 3rd, and
> 4th.  I thought only J-type overdrives switched in the 3 top
> gears.  The tag on the OD doesn't say A or J.  It just says
> Laycock De Normanville: Serial # 22/61753/003197,

That's an A-type, the later variant with the smaller accumulator as fitted to TR4A IRS and (some) later cars.

It should be enabled in 2nd, 3rd & 4th.  Some early TR2 A-types only worked in 4th gear, but most were 2,3,4.

J-types normally only work in 3rd & 4th (unless modified of course).

Someone mentioned D-type; those were not used on the 'big' TRs.  Only early Spitfire and GT6, AFAIK (although there might be some
others).  The D-type is smaller and weaker, marginal even behind the 2.0 6 banger.

-- Randall