[TR] TR4A update and overdrive question

Creig Houghtaling creig555 at live.com
Thu Jun 4 20:50:58 MDT 2015

First an update.  Last I wrote I was whining about my new trunk seal not
allowing my TR4A trunk lid close.  I had suggestions of seals that weren't
so tall.  One suggestion was the seal from a TR6.  So I worked with that
idea and found that if I trimmed the new seal all the way down to the base
around the bottom edges and half way up the sides I could actually close the
trunk and latch it.  SUCCESS!!!  Thanks for the help!

Then I took it for a drive around the block and tried out the overdrive.
AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!  Smoke was escaping from the wires!  Couldn't reach any of
the wires from under the car, so took the freshly installed interior apart
again.  I found 2 issues.  I hooked the live up through the  ground switches
side.  So when I had continuity in 3rd gear and engaged the OD switch I sent
live straight to ground.  Good way to make your wires into a toaster.
That's why the smoke escaped.  But the only way I could have live is because
my switch on the steering column was grounding out onto the turn signal
switch.  So I got some new wire and made up new with new spade ends and
bullet connectors.  OD functions perfectly now.  This time I was smart
enough to test it before I buttoned everything up.

The other thing I noticed about the OD is the switches on the shifter allow
the transmission to go into OD in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  I thought only J-type
overdrives switched in the 3 top gears.  The tag on the OD doesn't say A or
J.  It just says Laycock De Normanville: Serial # 22/61753/003197, Patent GB
456007, USA 2097021, Canada 389847, France 806914.  Is there anything in
that information that would tell if it was A or J?  The OD was not original
to the car.  The heritage report  has it imported into Canada, white, red
interior, surrey top.  So the OD was added later in life.  Can anybody tell
me what I have here?

Creig

creig55 at live.com

St. Louis, MO