[TR] wiring or ?

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 04:36:24 MDT 2015

I have had a similar paint experience as you!   But mine was the WRONG color.  Similar but wrong.  Probably I could have had the guy make good on the paint but it took years to get the car to the point I could pull it from that shop and take it elsewhere.   So the paint stayed and I had to fix imperfections.  It was not pleasant.

Your generator polarization may not have been caused by ineptitude.  They can lose their residual magnetism over time.  Re-flashing might be expected to be needed routinely.

The ammeter should not have anything to do with the generator light staying on.

I agree that you should go thru the fault finding manual for the charging system.  It is simple and can identify a bad generator (or bad wires) as well as a bad regulator.   Since you swapped a known good regulator then presumably the problem is the Dynamo or the wires.

The red generator light indicates the Dynamo is not putting out voltage.  And it also indicates (unless the warning light wire is shorted out somewhere) that the wire from that regulator terminal to the Dynamo is ok.

But assume nothing is good until it is double checked and proven to be fine.  Check every wire for continuity and low resistance.   Check that every wire is connected to the proper terminals!

If you need a new regulator, then I can supply one.  I make and sell electronic regulator conversions.  www.ClassicRegulator.com

-Tony