[TR] Damn Headers (Again)

Dan Forgey cofrog at q.com
Sat Jul 18 14:16:21 MDT 2015

Headers on my TR4A race car have been a pain. Ones that came with the car were the stuff from the big three. Bought Stahl headers that wouldn't clear the lower A-arm mount and had other fitment issues.

So had some custom one's made at Hank's Hot Rods in Colorado who is involved with NASA. He quoted me about $600 and I let him have the Stahl headers and car with instructions to make some with basic design of the Stahl headers that would fit. When done the price was 2.5 times the quote, nowhere near the design of the Stahls and showed shoddy workmanship. Don't go there! Only good part on the was the correct size flange I got from Mordy Dunst.

The shoddy swordsmanship has caught up with me after doing repairs in the past and there is an unrepairable hole where the #4 tube is entering the collector.

Chris Marx has recommended a Phoenix stainless steel racing header that he has used with success. Haven't been able to find this (yet). However found these; http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RF4075. Has anyone used them or have an opinion? I'd be tempted to try Ken Gillander's headers but he is indisposed at this time.