[TR] TR6 no start

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Sun Jul 12 10:29:35 MDT 2015

Jeff,

It almost sounds like the bowl floats are set incorrectly or the float
valves are sticking....net result is too much fuel in the bowls which dumps
into  the engine....mixture gets too rich, motor dies with a puff of black
smoke.

One quick way to check this without removing the bowls is to take one or
two spark plugs out after you've tried to start it and see if the plugs are
wet  (fouled) with fuel.  If they are, try tapping on the sides of both float
 bowls with the wooden part of a hammer.....if some dirt got past the fuel
filter  and is stuck in the float valve, you may be able to dislodge it.

If the problem doesn't point to stuck float valves or incorrectly set
floats, it may be time to check cylinder compression.  If compression  isn't
reasonably consistent across all cylinders, take the valve cover off;  have
someone crank the engine while you watch the operation of each rocker
arm....I've seen bent pushrods and I've seen the rocker arm adjuster nuts  back off
completely and leave the pushrod just flopping around.....stuff  happens!

Good luck

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs,  Ltd.
Delaware Valley Miata Club
Skippack, PA

In a message dated 7/11/2015 8:31:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,