[TR] TR3 Panel Switches

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 09:16:31 MDT 2015

I've found all the replacements to be about equal, and all of them
deficient compared to original (in period) Lucas switchgear.

For example, an original headlamp switch on my TR3B (not the one that
came on my car; that's still MIA in the barn where it spent twenty
years) broke a Bakelite lug.  I replaced it with a Moss switch and was
puzzled when for a few months I kept losing headlight power due to
wires breaking at a switch terminal. Turned out the replacement's
terminal screws had a sharpish edge around what should have been a
flat-ended screw.  Appeared to be due to the way the threads were
rolled onto the screw.  That sharp ring at the end of the screw was
cutting through the copper strands.  A few minutes on a file and they
were all fixed. That's NOT something one would see with old Lucas
stuff.

I try to keep my old stuff in service, or at least hunt down good
original Lucas.