[TR] Brake drum grabbing

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 8 10:52:32 MDT 2015

> Do you mean releases fully?  It is released enough to not
> drag when driving.

If cracking the bleed valve caused the brake to substantially release, then I'd call that proof that the problem is hydraulic and
farther up the line (most likely the soft line that links the trailing arm to the body).  Normally there should be no hydraulic
pressure at all with the pedal released, so opening the valve would not cause a change.  The soft line may be failed internally,
with a flap of material that blocks the flow only sometimes.

However, from your description of getting it loose by rocking the car back and forth, I think a stuck wheel cylinder is more likely.

When I bought Stag #2 the rear wheel cylinders were seized in the bores, but the brakes seemed OK (evidently working only on the
front discs).  Then when I tried a hard stop (missed a turn in the dusk with no one behind me), the rear wheel cylinders extended
and stayed that way.  Took some very determined pounding on the drums to get them loose again.

-- Randall