[TR] Triumph Gt6

Joao Simoes jmbs46 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 17:59:52 MST 2015

Hi all, I am new to this forum and was wondering what the general consensus is on the durability of some components in the GT6 and Spitfire.

I am building a GT6 convertible by bolting a 78 Spitfire body onto a 73 GT6 chassis and running gear.

I am planning on hopping up the inline 6 a bit, hoping for something around 130 Hp or so, but I am trying to decide what parts I should just clean up and reuse and which I should replace with new ones.

Specifically, the front hubs, rear hubs, rear drive flanges and drive shafts. If these fail, I can lose a wheel but they are pretty pricey to replace, so what are your thoughts?

The rear flanges ( the ones that the lug studs are mounted to) and rear drive shafts are from the Spitfire and have over 100,000 miles on them. The front and rear hubs are from the GT6 and have 45,000 miles on them.

Any recommendations? Are the new parts from Spitbits, Rimmers, TRF, Moss, or Victoria British good ones or are they cheap Chinese knockoffs?

I don't plan on beating the car up but I may run it occasionally at a race course for fun, not competitively, and drive the car with some enthusiasm sometimes.

Otherwise, I am keeping the tyres and wheels stock for now, and the only improved parts will be Spax shocks all the way around.

I'd appreciate some wisdom. By the way. I live in southeastern Michigan so if any of you live nearby I'd be interested in meeting you.

Take care,

Joao