[TR] TR4A - plastic fan - advice?

Cliff cliff_hansen at outlook.com
Wed Feb 18 20:46:25 MST 2015

So, I wanted to pull the fan hub extension because I wanted to fit an 8
blade plastic fan backwards.  However, the center hole in the fan is 1/8”
smaller than the diameter of the plate at the end of the fan extension.  I
was thinking of turning the fan extension down.

But now I think I'd rather not pull that dog bolt if I don't absolutely have
to.

1 - leave as is and put the original metal fan back on, at least, it’s a
semblance of a fan.
2 - mount the plastic fan frontwise and give up the access to the end of the
dog bolt.  Mounted frontwise the fan is only about 1/4" from the radiator.
3 - go modern and put an electric fan.

I'm guessing many on the list would choose Door Number 3.  But I'd really
rather have the plastic fan, if practical, because, well, its paid for.

Has anyone fitted one of these plastic fans, and if so, how did you mount
it?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff