[TR] Randall's Headlight Conversion

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 11:59:00 MDT 2015

You may still want an alternator for other reasons but the draw on the LEDs
is low.

The high beams draw 2.6 amps (each) the low beams 1.8 amps (each).

I believe that low beam draw is about the same as a the 21 watt brake light
I use.

By way of contrast, a 60/55 H4 halogen drew 5.3 amps and 4.6 amps.

I will note that (based on feedback from fellow drivers this past week)
using the LEDs as daytime running lights may be less effective than some
other sources including the original incandescent.  The old style has a
yellow tone that shows well in sunlight, the LEDs (while quite bright) have
a very white tone that gets somewhat lost amid gleaming chrome and other
reflections & glare in bright sunlight.

Geo