[TR] Oh deer

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:10:46 MDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Michael Porter <mdporter at dfn.com> wrote:

> Be careful....particularly, in November.

And never assume you've got clear.

Driving home one night, passing a slower vehicle, I see beady eyes off to
my left.  A smallish doe jumps out as I slow down - remember, I'm in the
oncoming lane, with another vehicle on my right, so there's not much
escape.  Fortunately, the deer passes in front of me, and so I think I'm OK
-

 - until she gets clobbered buy the car I was passing, which is now ahead
of me.

Do you see where this is going?

It was a good, solid hit, right in front of his left-side headlamps.
Which, of course, flings the animal right back into my lane.  Two things in
my favor:  One, it was already knocked down, and two, I was driving a 1991
Volvo 245.  Something to be thankful for, I think, as I glide right over
the top of whatever was left.