[TR] Kiss of the Cuckoo

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Tue Apr 7 19:43:47 MDT 2015

Man that sucks, glad you're OK.

Hit one years ago in my Super Beetle going about 70 down the
interstate looking down at my cassette collection (and drinking a
beer).  Luckily the front of the car turned concave and sent him over
me.  I was in the passing lane, the deer landed in the right hand
emergency lane.  Didn't stick around long once I figured I could
still drive the car as I smelled like a brewery at that point - the
beer went everywhere when I hit that sucker.  Turned out I couldn't
turn very sharply to the right as the headlight bucket was hitting
the tire - had to take a couple of tacks at the off ramp.  Luckily
body parts for beetles (at least at that time) were cheap and
plentiful.  I think I went through 4 left front fenders, 2 hoods and
a right front fender over the life of that poor car.

The phrase "Deer in the headlights look" is very much apropos.  The
lights seem to freeze the stupid critters.

Cheers, Tony Drews