[TR] TR2/3 - rocker shaft install

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 15:13:12 MDT 2014

Angelo -

I'm no expert but I have always just rested the rockers on the tops of the
pushrods and pressed down enough to start all the nuts.  Then just
tightened them evenly letting the works settled in wherever they happened
to be.  Just be sure the pushrods are seated well in the lifters and
matching well to the rockers.

To adjust them I don't trust my memory so I use this chart which has been
in the lid of the tool chest for the last 40 years or so:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/ValveAdjust_zps606664c7.jpg

I just start wherever the engine happens to be and go through the
sequence.  The hand crank is handy but w/o one it is still pretty easy to
turn the engine in a controlled fashion by putting it in 4th and pushing on
the top of the left front tire (gives you 2:1 leverage).  Having the plugs
out helps a lot of course.

After I'm all done I go through one more cycle (two revolutions) feeling
the rockers at each setting since if something is terribly wrong it is
pretty easy to feel if one is out of adjustment compared to the others.
Only change from that chart is that I now set the exhaust valves to .012"
to give some margin of error as I take a couple of 1200 miles trips each
year at highway speed and think/hope that gives some additional protection.

Geo