[TR] TR Speedometer

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Oct 28 01:02:59 MDT 2014

I don't think the TR6 in injected or carb form ever had a 4:1 final drive
(or any other oddball ratio) unless the diff and its housing came off a
Triumph 2000 saloon which had this ratio in O/D and non O/D configs. Lower
than normal final drive ratios often appeared on cars for export markets of
developing countries - e.g. a number of African territories, Israel, Turkey,
Malta and Singapore. There is yet another speedo number (though I can't
remember what it was) and this was fitted to cars with Michelin tyres as a
line fit. This tyre make had a slightly different rolling radius to the
Goodyear G800 of the day which was sufficiently 'different' to fit an
alternative clock. They standard fit for all the sidescreen TR's, the 4/4A,
TR250 and TR6 carb up to and including 1971. It might have gone on to later
model years but by that time I was working in other parts of British Leyland
and lost touch with Triumph specs.

Jonmac