[TR] TR3 windshield swap

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 13:00:15 MDT 2014

The 3 suppliers have taken to selling you flat neoprenesheet to use as a
gasket. Like most on the list I could not get the darn stuffto work. And I
work in the glazing industry for 43 years. Even 3 guys tryingcould not get it
to work.

So what I did was to wet seal the windshield into place.

I first cut strips of electrical tape B>b long.

I then wrapped them around the edge of the glass. B<b onthe front, B<b is
the glass, B<b on the back.

I built up the wraps on top of each other until theymeasured the same
thickness as the space in the frame. I think it may have been7 wraps. Measure
to be sure.

I put 5 sets across the width and 3 in the height.

I then jammed the glass into the frame.

Make sure the margin of glass in the frame is the sameall round and not in the
way of the tenex.

Then I laid the glass down and caulked the glass intoplace with Dow 795
silicon sealant.

The tape in effect acted as a spacer.

When caulking do not bpullb the gun away from thecaulking bead. Instead
bpushb the gun into the caulking bead. That will forcethe caulk down
between the glass and the frame.

When I say donbt bpullb the caulking bead, its exactlywhat the guy on
the flex seal TV advertisement is doing. That is the wrong wayto caulk.

Clean up by gently scraping the wet caulk off thesurfaces you donbt want it
on with a flat razor.

Good luck.

If I recall vic brit had the best price.