[TR] Bardahl oil additive

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Oct 21 07:37:59 MDT 2014

Brad

I think you'll get an endless variation of thoughts on this one. I've heard
of Bardahl down the years, though never seen it on sale in the UK. My guess
is it has helpful anti-wear additives in it that might well have been
beneficial 30 or more years back when engine oils were not nearly as
sophisticated as today. It seems to make similar claims to another product
called Molyslip which had a high content of molybdenum disulphide. Moly was
OK in engines but not anywhere where there were non-ferrous metals. But back
in the day, I vaguely recall you used Bardahl / Molyslip / STP in an engine
that had some wear. If put in a new engine that had hardly bedded down was
counter-productive and actually inhibited the essential 'wearing out'
process that's so vital in the first few thousand miles. When you get the
car running again, I think I'd just use the oil you plan to adopt without an
additive though I have no thoughts on the ZDDP aspects as it's not an issue
for  us on this side of the pond.

Jonmac

---