[TR] Pertronix

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 22:46:36 MDT 2014

I seem to remember several years ago Grassroots Motorsports was testing bolt
ons on some car, don't remember what, but as I recall the article said it
was one of the best bang for the buck bolt ons they tested, adding 3-4 hp or
something like that. I haven't been able to find that article, not
absolutely sure I am remembering it right.

 did find this on the internet:

http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/track.htm

Plus a lot of circular discussions on Pertronix v. Points similar to what I
have seen here and on other British car lists and forums.

I also saw some references to Jeff at Advanced Distributors saying Pertronix
makes less power than points.

I put them on my last two or three cars and I have had no problems, bit I
will add I have felt no discernable difference in how the motor runs, as far
as smoothness at idle or power.  I don't know if my next car will get them,
points work fine too, sure you have to adjust them and replace them from
time to time, but similar sentiment to what Randall said, if I didn't like
to tinker I wouldn't drive an old British car.

Greg Lemon
68 TR250