[TR] Need a TR3 Distributor

Jonas Payne jpaynepbr at cox.net
Sat Oct 4 17:39:12 MDT 2014

I swapped in the lucas dist from my TR3 and the car runs like a Swiss watch.

With the Mallory and Petronix, - Inability to hold timing, random missing,
timing that's all over the map at various RPM, poor running, hesitating,
coughing.  I've had the strobe on it for 15 minutes - there's no pattern.

Was on the phone with Jeff from Advance a while back discussing the fact
that the Mallory's are essentially "disposable" and good for about 20k
miles.  Have no reason to doubt him.

I'm a big fan of keeping things like this stock............I have no
interest in trying to sort out the "black box".  Whatever the issue with the
petronix and Mallory is - it's broken, I don't really care what it is.  Not
a big fan of Petronix regardless, although many people love them.

The reality is that it's more cost effective for my customer to simply
replace it with a known quantity than to try to figure out what's going on
the aftermarket junk.  If I was playing with my own stuff, my time would be
free and I'd try to figure it out, but I'm on the clock and the easiest
solution here happens to be the least expensive for the customer.

Jonas Payne
PBR Consulting Services, LLC
702.882.6711