[TR] J-Type Overdrive oddity

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 12 09:31:47 MST 2014

> I verified that the lock out switch was OK using a multi
> meter beep test

Apologies if I've mentioned this before in this thread.  I have seen those switches fail in such a way that they would pass the
"beep test" and still not work properly in the circuit.  It's best to test them in-circuit, by checking how much voltage actually
gets to the solenoid (or relay if you have one).  Mine was showing a resistance of about 20 ohms, enough to make the DMM beep, but
not enough to reliably operate the relay.

> So, I am inclined to think that the oil is the problem. I am
> also wondering
> about the filters but wondering how difficult these are to access on a
> J-Type unit. Special tools required?

No special tool for the suction filter, just undo the sump cover and pull the filter off.  You'll probably want a new gasket.

For the high pressure filter, you'll need a tool to unscrew the retaining plug.  I made a simple tool that worked well enough, by
drilling a heavy (approx 6mm thick by 30mm wide) iron bar for a couple of dowel pins to engage the plug, and letting the bar be the
lever.  There is a better home-made tool shown at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD2/JOD2.htm

While you are in there with the special tool, I would also pull out the dashpot and relief valve for cleaning.  There are a lot of
precision sliding fits in that mechanism, and it only takes a tiny particle of metal to jam it.  The dashpot (and relief valve) have
to move to engage (or release) overdrive.

Randall