[TR] TR4

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 13:07:37 MST 2014

I'll add my experience as I did the pistons and liners (with the engine *in
situ*) on my TR3A earlier this year.

I had the advantage of having the car on a lift so access was ideal -- but
no problem tapping out the old liners and installing the new.

Perhaps I was lucky but it was all pleasant and easy -- just a few extra
steps beyond a head gasket and big end bearings job.

I wrapped the crank journals in aluminum foil to keep them clean and
pounded out the liners using a 18" x 3/4" iron pipe with a iron cap on one
end and a brass cap on the other (as suggested by you-know-who).  Since
they had not moved in 55 years I was ready for a fight, but they tapped out
w/o any fuss or drama.

I chose this route as the only problem I was experiencing was a broken ring
and damaged #4 piston and liner -- everything else was fine.

You would do well to check out as much about your engine as you can before
deciding whether you want a true overhaul or just a farmer-fix.

Geo