[TR] TR4

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 09:43:52 MST 2014

With due respect to all those who have contributed this far, why not be done
with it and use the opportunity to remove the engine and gearbox complete?
Even if you don't do anything to the box, what else has worn? If it's
smoking that badly, then a new set of piston rings and new valve guides
would be the cheap and cheerful route for a year or so. The head might be
the cheapest fix - but for how long? Having done probably more wet liner
four rebuilds than I've had hot dinners in an earlier life, it you're going
to fit new liners and pistons, why shouldn't one also find unacceptable
levels of wear on the cam lobes, cam followers, big and little end bearing
shells, oil seals, water pump and WHY? IMHO just fitting new pistons and
sleeves makes about as much sense as fitting a new clutch plate and not
bothering to replace the cover and thrust bearing at the same time.
Maybe I've got more money than sense (?) but the reported condition of this
old lump suggests that a full rebuild and checking a raft of other stuff
will save the time and inconvenience of pulling it apart again at a later
stage when something else goes pear-shaped.
Just the thoughts of an old ***t who worked on these cars at the factory
when they were being made so I'll now return to my hole in the ground.

Jonmac

---