[TR] 4 vs 6 vane water pump impellor

Philip Ethier pethier7 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 14:33:06 MDT 2014

> -----Original Message----- From: John Macartney
> Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:37 PM
> To: 'Randall' ; triumphs at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [TR] 4 vs 6 vane water pump impellor
>
> When Joe Pawlak and his team of Busted Knucklers at ISOA rebuilt
> the engine for 'uncle jack' , Joe removed about half a pound of foundry
> sand, bits of bent wire and solid sand core from that block.

Joe showed it to me.  I should have photogrphed it.

> He gave it to
> me as a present the following year when he came to the UK to stay with us
> and commented that in his opinion it was that junk which had caused head
> warpage on the car in the dim and distant past when they started tearing
> down the unit. It's worth mentioning that I drove that car over 18,000
> miles
> in some pretty hot weather in 2009 and kept a detailed log of all top-ups,
> oil changes and fuel used throughout the trip. It was in Tallahassee FL
> (and
> at the start of the journey) where I added just three paper cups of water
> from a hotel water fountain. This was because I'd discovered (and sorted)
> an
> airlock in the heater - and I never had to touch it again until the last
> day
> but one of the trip when I added another single cup in Grand Junction on
> the
> way to Glenn Merrell's place near Denver. This was after Texas, Canadian
> prairie, driving up Pike's Peak fairly rapidly, the Rockies and all down
> the
> West Coast. Come to that, over that journey I only used a quart and a half
> of oil in top ups, apart from oil changes at 3,000 mile intervals.
>
> Cooling-wise and after his superb rebuild, 'uncle jack' was what all Stags
> *should* have been from the outset - but so few ever were.
>
> Jonmac

And I appreciate that!  I've never had a hint of overheating.

I had uncle jack out for a run on Wednesday to a club meeting and a small
car show in Bloomington.

He's showing a bit of an oil leak somewhere on the right side of the
engine, but no more than to show that he's English.  In the next month he
will be making a return trip to Thunder Bay for the Rendezvous, along the
scenic North Shore that Jonmac didn't get to see on his tour, having driven
the prairie from here to Winnipeg instead.

pethier at comcast.net still works also
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com